I revised the 2006 populations from the preliminary figures to the final results. I also added 1946 census
data under Population history.
|Language||Sesotho (st), English (en)|
Basutoland was a British protectorate for the first part of the 20th century. On 1966-10-04, it became
independent under the name of Lesotho.
Other names of country:
- Danish: Lesotho
- Dutch: Lesotho, Koninkrijk Lesotho (formal)
- English: Kingdom of Lesotho (formal), Basutoland (obsolete)
- Finnish: Lesotho
- French: Lesotho m
- German: Lesotho n
- Icelandic: Lesótó
- Italian: Lesotho m
- Norwegian: Lesotho, Kongeriket Lesotho (formal)
- Portuguese: Lesoto, Reino m do Lesoto m (formal), Basutolândia f (obsolete)
- Russian: Королевство Лесото (formal)
- Spanish: Lesoto, Reino m de Lesotho (formal), Basutia (obsolete), Basutolandia (obsolete)
- Swedish: Lesotho
- Turkish: Lesoto Krallığı (formal)
Origin of name:
Land of the Sothos
Lesotho is divided into ten districts.
| 97,713 ||4,075||1,573|
|Qacha's Nek |
| 69,749 ||2,349||907|
|10 districts ||1,876,633||30,355||11,720|
Note: Berea district has an alternate name, Teyateyaneng. The district is commonly called Berea, but the
capital is almost always known as Teyateyaneng. Similarly, the capital of Leribe is also known as Hlotse.
See the Councils of Lesotho page.
The districts were further subdivided into wards until 2005-04-11, when a set of community councils was
Lesotho is entirely surrounded by South Africa.
The UN LOCODE page for Lesotho lists locations in the country, some of them with their latitudes and longitudes, some with their ISO 3166-2 codes for their subdivisions. This information can be put together to approximate the territorial extent of subdivisions.
- ~1910: Basutoland reorganized. New Berea district formed from part of old Berea; new Leribe formed from
parts of old Berea and Leribe; Mafeteng formed from part of Thaba Bosigo; Maseru formed from parts of Berea
and Thaba Bosigo; Mohale's Hoek formed from Kornet Spruit; Qacha's Nek formed from parts of Berea, Leribe,
and Quthing; new Quthing formed from part of old Quthing.
- ~1944: Leribe district split into Butha-Buthe and Leribe; Qacha's Nek district split into Mokhotlong and
- ~1980: Thaba-Tseka district formed from parts of Leribe (412 km.²), Maseru (1,782 km.²),
Mokhotlong (496 km.²), and Qacha's Nek (1,580 km.²). Prior to this change, the nine former districts
had FIPS codes from LT01 to LT09. Each number was nine less than the present-day code.
Other names of subdivisions:
- The apostrophes are sometimes omitted. In older sources, hyphens are sometimes omitted or replaced by spaces.
- Berea: Teyateyaneng (variant)
- Butha-Buthe: Botha-Bothe (variant)
|District ||1946-05-07 ||1966-04-14 ||1976-04-12 ||1986-04-14 ||1996-04-14 ||2006-04-09 |
|Berea || 58,026||118,200||146,100 ||194,600 ||240,754 ||250,006 |
|Butha-Buthe || 35,444||63,200 ||77,200 ||100,600 ||109,192 ||110,320 |
|Leribe || 99,030||161,500||206,600 ||258,000 ||300,160 ||293,369 |
|Mafeteng || 69,629||119,100||154,300 ||195,600 ||211,970 ||192,621 |
|Maseru ||106,614||201,800||257,800 ||311,100 ||385,869 ||431,998 |
|Mohale's Hoek|| 66,185||109,900||136,300 ||164,400 ||184,034 ||176,928 |
|Mokhotlong || 38,176||60,200 ||73,500 ||74,700 ||85,628 || 97,713 |
|Qacha's Nek || 44,941||63,000 ||76,500 ||64,000 ||71,665 || 69,749 |
|Quthing || 45,809||72,700 ||88,500 ||110,400 ||126,342 ||124,048 |
|Thaba-Tseka || || || ||104,100 ||126,353 ||129,881 |
1946 data come from source . 1966 and 1976 data are from source . 1996 data are from sources , , and .
2006 results are from source .
-  Preliminary results
of the 2006 census (retrieved 2007-09-04).
-  Population Distribution. Lesotho Bureau of Statistics. Had results of the 1996 census and the 2001 demographic survey.
(http://www.bos.gov.ls/population/Population%20Distribution.pdf, dead link, retrieved 2005-06-28).
-  Ministry of Finance and
Development (retrieved 2007-09-04).
-  Population Distribution. Lesotho Demographic Survey, 2001: Vol. I, Ch. 17.
(http://www.bos.gov.ls/demography link/Demographic survey 2001/Population Distribution.pdf, dead link, retrieved 2006-09-12)
-  Demographic
Yearbook , 7th Ed. Statistical Office of the United Nations, New York,
1955 (retrieved 2011-08-20).
-  Encyclopædia Britannica, 15th Edition, Chicago, 1984.
-  The Statesman's Year-Book, 1979-80 edition. St. Martin's Press, New York, 1979. This source gives 1,246,815 as the total
population from the 1976 census, but doesn't give the breakdown by districts.
-  Population
by Age and Sex , Lesotho 2006 Population and Housing Census. Bureau of Statistics, Maseru,
October 2009 (retrieved 2011-08-21).