I've acquired the 2008 census data.
Reunion was a French possession until 1946, when it was made an overseas department of France. Reunion has a NUTS code of FR94 (as a region, or FR940 as a department), a department code of 974, and postal codes of the form 974xx, all of which are extensions of the French system.
French réunion: meeting, in commemoration of the meeting on 1792-08-10 of forces which stormed the Tuileries Palace
Reunion is divided into four arrondissements.
See the Communes of Reunion page.
The arrondissements are subdivided into 24 communes, which are further subdivided into 44 cantons. In 1988-09, eight new cantons were created. Two cantons merged into one in 1991. The larger communes have several cantons; the smaller have just one.
The UN LOCODE page for Reunion lists locations in the country, some of them with their latitudes and longitudes, some with their ISO 3166-2 codes for their subdivisions. This information can be put together to approximate the territorial extent of subdivisions.
A Web page posted by Lycée de la Rivière , a school in Reunion, gives the following history of the administrative divisions of the island.
Before the French Revolution, the French colonial administration divided the island into quartiers (districts) and paroisses (parishes). On 1789-11-12, the French National Assembly issued a decree dividing Reunion into municipalités. The colony's assembly adopted the decree on 1790-07-23. It then passed a regulation on 1790-12-17, creating a municipal system based on the parishes. The divisions were called cantons from 1793 until 1795-05. From 1795 to 1798, they were reduced in number to five, and subdivided into districts or sections. These, in turn, were given the status of communes in 1798. At that time, there were eleven of them: Saint André, Saint Benoît, Saint Denis, Sainte Marie, Sainte Rose, Sainte Suzanne, Saint Joseph, Saint Leu, Saint Louis, Saint Paul, and Saint Pierre. On 1803-10-01, the communes were abolished and replaced by the old districts as they stood in 1789. Finally, in 1815, the eleven parishes of 1789 were re-established with a status of communes.
The colony was made into an overseas department by a French law of 1946-03-19. The process was slow: the first prefect (departmental chief executive) was named on 1947-07-20, and governing power passed to him on 1947-08-15. Reunion became a region of France in 1982, and the first regional council was elected on 1986-03-16. Like the other overseas departments, Reunion is a region with just one department.
RE.DN, RE.PL, RE.PR
Glorioso Islands: Îles Glorieuses (French)
Populations before 1970 are proleptic to 2000, but do not reflect the commune shifts of 2006.
|Back to main statoids page||Last updated: 2015-06-30|
|Copyright © 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, 2013, 2015 by Gwillim Law.|